I believe...

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. " - William Butler Yeats

Friday, July 30, 2010

Web Tools Reflection

As I reflect upon my experience with WebTools, I can’t help but get excited about the new technologies I’m planning on using in my own classroom. One of the most important ideas that I became familiar with during this course was that using a new technology in a new way (one not possible without technology) take instruction to a new level. A new level that is entirely engaging and interactive for the students. The teacher doesn’t need to be a “sage on the stage” because there are so many awesome tools that allow students to explore, create and learn. The possibilities are really limited only by one’s imagination.

With that being said, I don’t believe that technology implementation is a necessity to be a successful teacher. Several of my colleagues shared stories about teachers that use minimal technology in their classrooms. I think most of us agreed that there isn’t a set picture or set number of educational strategies or a set amount technology implemented that defines what it means to be a great teacher. If I were to finish this sentence, “I use technology as…” I would say…
• a tool that opens new doors and allows one to “see” new places not possible without technology
• a tool for organization
• a tool for collaboration
• a tool for creation and presentation
• a tool for gathering (and receiving) information

The last bullet makes me think “Web 2.0.” And the perfect way to conclude is to explain what I learned about the Web 2.0 and how it affects my life. I learned about several tools that can be classified as Web 2.0 instead of Web 2.0. One key Web 2.0 tool that I used this semester was Google Reader. Google Reader allowed me to instantly receive the new information being posted to other websites or blogs. The information was coming to me (in one spot) rather than me having to go out and find what I wanted. What a big time saver! The Web 2.0 is different than past “generations” because information comes to your rather than you going out to find information. This makes a lot a sense. I can’t believe I hadn’t heard of the concept prior to this class. Maybe it will be like so many trends, once it “lights up,” it will take off like wild fire. I know I can’t wait to share the tools that I’ve learned this summer. I wonder if my principal would give me 5-10 minutes during our monthly staff meetings?

No comments:

Post a Comment