I believe...

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. " - William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Week 6 Tools - Images, Images & More Images


It really would be devastating to me to lose my photos in a fire or other unfortunate event. That would probably be my #1 reason for uploading my photos to a site like Picnik or Flickr.The photo at right is one of the photos in the collection I uploaded to Flickr. It's a pic of my youngest son last fall. You can see the 5 photo album here.


This week I signed up and played around with web tools involving images. I created accounts in Picnik and Flickr. Lee LeFever, author of the In Plain English series, has another great video for “Photo Sharing.” The video is less than 3 minutes and you can see it on youtube here. If anything he makes a good point, that because of the threat of fire or unfortunate event, we all should back up our previous photos on the web. He also suggests trying out the public share option after uploading your photos. I may try this as I agree that keeping them private is no better than putting them in a physical photo album and letting them sit on a shelf. I also really like the easy method of organization using titles and “tags.” I’m using the “tags” feature with the website organization tool Diigo now. Tags make finding a specific item in a sea of hundreds or thousands really easy. Picnik is a commercial site and they want your business. One downside of Picnik is that only 5 photos can be uploaded at one time (unless you pay to upgrade).


For Flickr, I can’t believe I had to generate ANOTHER EMAIL ACCOUNT. I think that brings my tally up to 5! Five email address, that ridiculous! Anyway, I really like the sharing capacity of Flickr. Although as Eric pointed out, because there is a wide variety of photos that are shared, some that may not be appropriate for our students, we might want to close monitor what our students are looking at. I would almost bet that both sites are currently blocked at my school for that very reason. I would need to put in a request for access. I do like the idea of photo sharing. And with Eric’s example of the 5 photo oil spill collection, I can definitely see some classroom application. If you missed it, find it here. The photo of the dragonfly with oil on its wings and the wave crest with oil drops was especially powerful but disturbing for me. Here is a link to the small collection I put together. It’s my family and I carving pumpkins last October.

No comments:

Post a Comment