I believe...

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. " - William Butler Yeats

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Guidelines for Technology

I had read Marc Prensky’s process of technology adoption in another class. At the simplistic level he describes the newest and earliest technology integration into school as “dabbling” and the most educationally-value stage he describes as “doing new things in new ways.” If you haven’t read his article, “Shaping Tech for the Classroom,” it’s an interesting and informative read.

Before I list my guidelines for using technology. I’m going to brainstorm what technology means to me… each beginning with “technology is…” The list is organized by what comes into my brain first.

  1. Technology is a collection of tools that can be used to enhance an educational environment.
  2. Technology can be used by students, teachers or both simultaneously. In other words it can be a tool for learning or a tool for teaching.
  3. Technology allows educators to bring a lesson to life for their students. I’m reminded of a question I ask my 9th graders, “why do we use models?” I’m point to an awful model of an atom when I ask. There are several reasons they come us with… something is too small, too large, too far away, to expensive, too hazardous, too lots of things. But now with the internet at our fingertips and so many resources at our disposal we can bring our students that much closer to an authentic experience.
  4. Technology is authentic.
  5. Technology isn’t going away.
  6. Technology enhances the learning experience when used to augment a lesson, not replace it. In other words, I don’t believe that a virtual experience when used exclusively is the best educational experience.

I only a few general guidelines in my classroom, which are…

1. Be respectful

2. Be safe.

3. Be prepared.

4. Be motivated.

5. Do nothing that prevents others from doing their job, which is to learn chemistry.

6. Do nothing that prevents Mrs. Sherburn from doing her job, to teach you chemistry.

So along those lines, my guidelines (first draft) regarding technology would be…

  1. Be respectful (when chatting, collaborating, posting, blogging etc.)
  2. Be safe (if you publish something to the internet expect that even your parents could see it).
  3. Keep an open mind and explore (new ideas and technologies)
  4. Be patient when learning something new or using a new technology (“patience is a virtue!”)
  5. ?
  6. ?

* 5 and 6 will be my work in progress

I read someone’s blog (ha ha, I’m typing this out in Word and it doesn’t recognize “blog” as a word) that said they relied on students to use technology outside of school. At my school, this wouldn’t be an option. After conducting a short school-wide survey 2 years ago, we discovered that about 75% of our low SES (socio-economic status) student population did have computers; only about 75% of those students had an internet connection.

I really want to focus on ways to allow “students to interact with information in a way that is meaningful and could not have happened otherwise?” And maybe even more important for me to integrate into my classroom are ways for my kids to “create and share their knowledge with an audience they never would have had access to without technology?”

1 comment: