I believe...

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. " - William Butler Yeats

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sherburn's Synopsis

I am a high school science teacher at Hesperia High School in, you guessed it, Hesperia (Michigan not California). I will be going into my 7th year of teaching. I also coach 7th grade volleyball and HS Science Olympiad.

I am setting up this blog as part of a course to complete my Master's program through Montana State University. I am also now using a few other technologies as I first posted including Twitter, Google Reader and a wiki for the class.

I am married to my college-sweetheart (although we attended different colleges in Michigan that were 400 mi apart). We have 2 beautiful boys, Andrew (3 yrs) and Nate (15 months).

I'm taking 3 online graduate classes this summer and going to another 6 day workshop in August. Whoever said that teachers get the summers off must have been telling a joke.

In my "spare" time I enjoy scrapingbook (haven't done that since Christmas break), kayaking (last summer), reading (something other than a graduate reading assignment would be nice), watching a good movie (I think that last one was "The Proposal"). But mainly, I love spending time with family and friends. And in the wonderful area of West Michigan that I live there is so much to do outdoors in the summer.

3 comments:

  1. Good to 'meet' a fellow Michigander! Although I do not live there any longer, all of my family does. They are mostly around Waterford and Traverse City. One of my favorite childhood memories is hiking over Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes and FINALLY getting to the Lake! it was like conquering the Sahara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Three classes and a workshop - no, you don't have the summer off! Hope you have some time this summer to enjoy the great outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No kidding! Teachers only have summers off from the kids so they can regroup for the next go-around. Sounds like you need a "real" vacation!

    ReplyDelete