I believe...

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. " - William Butler Yeats

Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Screencast Idea and 2 Cute Little Boys!

I couldn’t sleep anymore this morning because I had a great idea for a screencast to work on. I’m calling it “Chemistry Commoncraft – Volume 1 – the Mole” and going to try to make it as simplistic as the other commoncraft.com screencasts I’ve viewed.

Below is a picture of the rough “script” I worked on from 5:30-7AM today. The dialogue I plan to say is written on the right side of the paper and the basic pictures I’ll use are VERY roughly sketched out on the left.



I figure if I’m going to make a screencast, I might as well do one that has value and applicability for my own classroom. And many chemistry teachers would agree that the first go round with the concept of the mole is a struggle for students.

It might take a while to gather my materials (clip art pictures and whiteboard to lay horizontal) and edit the video but I think it will be well worth it.

P.S. The last picture that I’m including is from yesterday. I stepped away from the breakfast table for 2 minutes to check my email and when my 1 year old started fussing, I asked my 3 year old to give him a little more cereal. This is what I came back to.



6 comments:

  1. Awesome - I can't wait to see the finished project. If you have a camera, you probably don't even need to do it as a screencast - just record the images as you move them around on a table or piece of chart paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great idea. I have not looked at the commoncraft.com site and I plan on doing that and maybe it will give me some ideas to do for a biology screencast. I look forward to seeing your project on the mole. I have taught chemistry and it is a difficult topic for students to get. Do you celebrate National Mole Day on Oct. 23? I always liked to do some special mole things on that day.

    Your boys are very cute. My 2 year old came out of the bathroom this morning after she was supposed to be washing her hands, but instead washed her hair with hand soap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very cool!!! I teach middle school chemistry and we decided not to teach about the mole this year, just because the kids have a tough time with it, and we have very little time to spend on it. I use the notebook 10 software for my smartboard, and that might be a good program to make a screencast on? I'm not sure if you are planning on taking photos or video and uploading them onto your computer, or creating it right on the computer to begin with. If you have the notebook 10 software it has a feature to capture everything you do on the board, so maybe it would be useful? Or maybe there is more tech savvy application on the web somewhere? Looking forward to seeing the final product! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea! Screen casting has yet to not give me an error message when I tried to post it to my blog ugh, but I will keep on trying. My brother in law who is a computer tech for the ESD here came over to help me with this but somehow the blogger site didn't accept it. He uses it all the time to teach teachers the methods of using new programs(the correct mouse clicks to get them where they need to be) His favorite site is commoncraft.com for teaching this stuff! Good luck! I have a 4 & 6 year old that are wondering why I am spending so much time on the computer -( so I can keep up with them!!) my 6 year old already knows how to manipulate my ipod touch faster than I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone else - this sounds like a great idea!! I'm teaching a lower level physics class and was hoping to try this as well for various physics concepts that they could go back to for further explanation. I'd love to hear more about your progress as you go along.
    Also your little boys are adorable and I laughed out loud at your situation -so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice idea! Thanks for the enthusiasm and great pic of the boys!

    ReplyDelete